Tuesday, May 5, 2015

This Guys Mohawk Smells Surprisingly Good

La Escalera 4 Year Anniversary Show (5/3/15 @ Til-Two Club, San Diego CA)

Hello there! It's good to see you friend! It's been too long.

This past weekend was a fucking blast. San Diego's own La Escalera Records celebrated being around for 4 years! So much good music, so many good friends, so many good hugs. I needed a full day to recover from the madness.

The Briggs (Slidebar, Fullerton)

First things first. Saturday night Kenny and I rolled up to Fullerton to check out True Rivals, Caskitt, and The Briggs. I missed most of True Rivals set because I was, as Kenny put it, "Bro-ing down pretty hard with some dudes from San Bernardino." But I did manage to catch a few songs and liked what I heard. I did however watch all of Caskitt's set, because duh, Bro's before other new bro's. Somewhere in the middle of Caskitt's set, that old man rumble must have ended, because the Slidebar was all of a sudden packed with people. It still trips me out that the back room of this place can be packed with gross sweaty punks, while the front bar is flooded with with the douchiest of the douche (Ladies can be douches too. GENDER EQUALITY!) Anyways, The Briggs played and the crowd went wild. A pit even got started with not one, but two shirtless sweaty dudes! I stayed as far in the back as I possibly could as they ripped through their set. During their last song, Joey had something around his neck, which turned out to be his daughter (with ear protection, calm down) which I thought was pretty rad. Then it started to get a little nuts and she had to leave when a million punks jumped on stage to help sing This is L.A. Awesome show, the perfect way to warm up for the actual party.

Blurry Punk Wolverine and friends

Sunday morning when I woke up I had 2 things on my mind, whiskey and bowling. There is only 2 weeks until Punk Rock Bowling and it is time to practice in all aspects. Oh, did I mention this year I am filling in for Jared on the 3 Drunks and a Driver team? Because I am, and I couldn't be more stoked. So after rolling a few games and dranking a few dranks, Kenny, Jared and I picked up Jessica and headed south to keep the party momentum going. 

Caskitt

The first band I actively watched was Caskitt. It has been years since I had the chance to see these fellas play, and to be honest, I kind of forgot they were a band. They were pioneers in the Nu-Metal Country Rap Rock scene, and seeing them play live you can see why. Mattholomew Caskitti sings and plays the electric drums reminiscent of Lars Ulrich in another 25 years from now, while Stefan Urquelle shreds the Keytar and provides the crowd with some eye candy, and newcomer Jesse brings a breathe of fresh air and his impressive Harpsichord skills. Well played sirs. 

You know, or whatever

DFMK

This is only the second time I have seen DFMK and there is seriously something amazing about them. I still have no idea what any of their songs are about, but it doesn't even matter. Just being able to see them be so animated and giving 125% shirks any kind of language barrier that exists. I'm not one to judge anyone, but if you have a chance to see them play and don't you are a fucking idiot.

Missing from this picture: Your stupid ass

I skipped watching Gentlemen Prefer Blood to go eat a Ziggy Love Chicken Burrito he was cooking up in front of Til-Two. The thing was so massive I had to split it with Jess. It was also so fucking good. Chicken Burrito, you the real hero.

Western Settings

This was Western Settings first show back home after a 16 day tour supporting their awesome new record Yes It Is. Even being on the road for over 2 weeks straight couldn't make them suck. Impressive as always. Will see again.

Not impressive? My drunken photography skills

Black Dots

I came in about halfway through their set and, like everyone else there, was blown away by how good they were. My brain started going on the fritz, probably from drinking whiskey for 9 hours straight, but the one thought I remember having was make sure you check these guys out. Which I am doing right now as I am typing this, and I must say, drunk Kevin has good taste.

His only redeemable quality

Civil War Rust

This is it. This was the band I was most excited to see play, and they did not disappoint. I downloaded their album The Fun and the Lonely a while ago off the recommendation of...someone... Keri maybe? And I liked it. But I had this feeling in the back of my head that if I saw them play live, I would like it way more. That's usually how it works with me, some bands are good recorded, but you can't fully appreciate them until you see them play live. I listened to that album probably 5 times in a row yesterday after seeing them, and then got pissed because they didn't have any more albums. That's a good thing. So yes, their set ruled and it made me bummed I didn't go to VLHS the night before and see them there too. Also, I fucking forgot to see if they had a copy of their album on vinyl. 

Go Angels

It was around this time I finally got proper drunk. I'm not the biggest fan of day drinking, but I feel like I made it a pretty decent amount of time. I am kind of bummed I didn't watch Breaker Breaker One Niner, as Ziggy was nice enough to cook burritos for everyone and seems to have a hand in every show in San Diego that I enjoy so much, or Vena Cava because I heard they were super good too, but I did watch Bastards of Young play 3 or 4 songs while Kenny was trying to herd or group of drunks together to go home, and they were pretty impressive. But I did have to go home so I could get some sort of sleep before I had to work on Monday morning. You know it was a good weekend when you zombie your way through a full day of working and have to pass out in your car at lunch to avoid just dropping dead from treating your body like the decaying piece of shit it is. Or maybe that's just me. 

Next up is Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas. It's going to get weird. 

No comments: