Friday, April 17, 2015

Now Stop. Then Wiggle With It

Western Settings - Lysolgang - Just In Case - Sledding With Tigers (4/17/15 @ The Tower Bar, San Diego CA)

I wasn't going to write a review of this show, mostly because I figure: 1) I don't have to write about every fucking thing I go to, and 2) How many times can I really say Western Settings is good and you should listen to them? But then the other bands played and holy fuck! And, well, here I am.

We didn't get pizza before this show because we went to Mother Earth Brewery in Vista before hand for our buddy Trevor's "surprise" birthday party. Mother Earth currently has my favorite beer, Cali' Creamin', which I'm sure I have rambled about before. My personal opinion though, that shit sucks on nitro tap. I get what it's supposed to do, but it tastes too much like a flat cream soda and not enough like beer. But, you know, that's just me, I have the refined taste of that six year old kid who eats the disgusting sand on the playground and gets worms. 

Anywho, the show! This was the Western Settings tour kick off/vinyl release of their album show. After Mother Earth, Kenny and I had to fly down the 15 at 90 miles an hour to make it in time. And thank god we did, because...

Sledding with Tigers

On the way down, Kenny was kind of explaining this band to me. He kept saying something about he hopes he plays in the crowd like he did last time, which at the time made absolutely no sense to me. But once we got to the Tower Bar right it all became clear. Tonight, SwT was 2 people, one on acoustic guitar and one on banjo. The first thing that happened was the singer declared they didn't need a stage or amplifiers or microphones, so everyone just gather around. What happened next was roughly half an hour of some of the funniest, well written "pop punk folk" songs I have heard. I mean, when you have a song that references shitty 311 and Sublime tattoos, you automatically win. Definitely one of the better things I have seen in a while, and I'm super stoked we made it in time to catch them. 10/10, would see again. Bring on the Space Jam album.

The gather call for beards

Just In Case

Its not that this band wasn't good, it's just that I was just blown away by the previous band, and nothing really stood out about these guys minus the fact that they were really loud and hurt my stupid old man ears. What they did, they did well though. I just wasn't feeling it. 5/10, will need to investigate further. 

MY EARS ARE FUCKING BLEEDING! WHAT?

Lysolgang

Funny story (not really) about Lysolgang, at Awesome Fest last year I ran into the singer Patrick outside of the Office and he had a dilemma, should he stay at Awesome Fest or head down to Chula Vista to see the Offspring, Pennywise, Bad Religion, and the Vandals. He already had tickets to the very 90's punk show, so I told him, fuck it, get your ass down there. Later, when I ran into him he said that was a good call. Now, since then, I have had at least 4 chances to see his band play (twice as an Against Me! cover band) but each time I didn't go, with some variance of the excuse of I don't want to fucking drive to L.A. Well, this time they played in my hood, so I had no choice but to see them, and I'll be damned if I'm not bummed this was the first time. They ripped. They fucking covered Lil' John's hit (?) song Get Low, and it sounded awesome as fuck. Even Matt Caskitt was ready to declare them the best punk band in southern California. 9/10, will definitely see them again (Maybe even in dreaded L.A.) plus I want to download their songs.

Plus that logo. Respect.

Western Settings

I actually stayed inside and watched them play! Go me! 10/10 to me for defying expectations. 

That mullet though. Damn girl

Western Settings has quickly gained and tied with Caskitt as my favorite San Diego band. In an earlier blog, I defied San Diego bands to step up their game, and WS did in a big way*. If you are in one of the cities they are touring through, go out, watch them, and buy their new album Yes It Is. I promise you won't regret it.


That's it. Tonight I will be seeing the awesome Bad Cop/Bad Cop, A Wilhelm Scream, and Good Riddance at Brick by Brick. Go support your local music scene you jerks.

*This is actually a lie. Western Settings has always been good. I've just been a piece of shit. Don't tell anyone. 

No comments: