Monday, March 9, 2015

Farmers can go suck a lemon

The Shell Corporation - Western Settings - Gentlemen Prefer Blood - Dead Dads (3/7/15 @ Tower Bar, San Diego CA)


Seriously, Daylights saving time can go fuck itself. Yeah great, the sun stays up until 9pm now and I guess I can go play outside or whatever. Why do we do this? I think it has to do with farmers or some shit, but that could totally be one of those things you think is true, but has been a lie your entire life. Like true happiness or you'll catch a cold if you don't bring a jacket. And I mean, do farmers really need an extra hour of daylight when they are just pumping human growth hormones and HPV into all your fruits and meats? Oh, you only eat free range, organically grown tomatoes from a farm of sunshine and happiness and that bullshit Daiya cheese? Good for you, go fuck yourself too. Have fun living a month or 2 longer than me, I'll be over here enjoying my gas station corndogs and carcinogens. What I'm trying to say is this time change fucks with my sleeping schedule, and I absolutely do not have time for that. This is the only nice thing you will EVER hear me say about Arizona, those racist desert turds are smart for skipping this shit. But they can still go kick rocks. Because that's all they got there. Rocks. As far as the eye can see.

But I'm not here to talk shit about Arizona or Father Time. I'm here to talk shit on the "bands" I was "lucky" enough to catch this weekend. Lets get into it.

Friday I was supposed to go up to LA to the Redwood to catch Shell Corp, Bad Cop and the Bombpops, but unfortunately that didn't pan out. By the time everyone who was supposed to go finally met up, it was 9pm, and a 2 hour drive north just didn't seem like it was worth it. Plus, I'm pretty sure I saw this exact same show last August maybe, and all these bands will play again, so it wasn't the worst thing in the world. We opted to get drunk instead. Duh.

Saturday morning I had 2 options. 1) Get up and head down to North Park to catch the singers of Cheap Girls, Hard Girls and Fake Problems play an acoustic show at a brand new record store, or 2) Stay in bed and watch the new Netflix series The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Please. If you were a fan of 30 Rock, you will probably like UKS. It is written by Tina Fey and was intended to be on NBC, so it has the same look and feel of 30 Rock. The premise is basic, Erin from the Office gets abducted by a cult as a kid, lives in an underground bunker for 15 years, and then gets rescued and has to adapt to life above ground. She moves in with a gay Tracy Jordan and works for Jenna Malone. That's the way it seems at least before it finally feels like its own show about 3 or 4 episodes in. I don't want to spoil anything but the Werewolf bit, The Reverend and who plays him (including solving what the mystery crank does!), and the back story for Mrs. Voorhees are all gold. I highly suggest checking out this show, and giving it a few episodes to warm up.

Around 7pm, it was time for me to leave my cave of shame and head over to Rich's house. Because if you can't tell by now, pizza and beers are a must before a show (Pizza and beers is a must before anything really). I got over to his house in time to catch the tail end of Jared (Sic Waiting, Dead Frets) hyping up Del Taco to Jan (The Shell Corporation) as Jared normally does. Seriously, ask Jared about Del Taco and prepare to discuss it for hours. He was also really excited about these miracle brain pills that make you concentrate or whatever. "And who doesn't want to be Bradley Cooper?" I tuned it out. Eventually we got our shit together and headed down to Luigi's and got our pizza party on.

Dead Dads

These guys and gal are a band from up in Sacramenty. I feel like I'm always kind of repeating myself, but I have heard good things. They totally didn't disappoint. Kind of bummed I got there about half way through their set and only caught the tail end, but what I did hear made me download their old album this morning and I'm probably defiantly going to pick up their new album that just came out last month soon. It's fucking called Space Camp. How could I not? These guys totally made my check out the next time you have a chance for sure list. Because that's a thing.

Gentlemen Prefer Blood

I have this band on my iPod and I know I have seen them before, but for some reason I always thought they were a different band. I think I made up a band in my head that's part Dudes Night and part Horror Squad. No Idea why. Anywho, the real GPB, they were pretty good.

SURPRISE!

Caskitt played a short surprise set. 5 songs and the Friends theme cover. I am a little bummed because Matt said they covered an AFI song the night before at VLHS, but they didn't end up playing it this night. Dumb, but I guess I'll survive. Go preorder their new album, This Machine Kills Sadness. Shits tight. Midwest Summer Nights is the jam.

Western Set

 
 
You're welcome

The Shell Corporation

I am a newer Shell Corporation fan. I think the first time I heard them was in the middle of last year and they blew me away. Since then, I have refused to not see them play when they are near (except, you know, Friday night). This night was the most fun I have had seeing them so far. At this point in the night, I had been drinking just enough to accept Jared when he grabbed me and to scream along to every word. Seriously, if The Shell Corporation is in your town, go see them. They are crazy good live.
The Jerk
 
 
All in all, a pretty decent night. Good bands. Good friends. Good pizza. Good beer. The four horsemen of a good time. Herding drunk Jared home was also fun. The best was Rich luring him out of his car with promises of Sour Patch Kids. White people, am I right?!?
 
Get out and support your local music scene you piece of shit.

No comments: