Tuesday, March 31, 2015

BK Mega Weekend Extravaganza!

Brendan Kelly - A few garbage L.A. bands (3/27/15 @ The Mint, Los Angeles CA) / Brendan Kelly - Joey Briggs - Dead Frets  (3/28/15 @ Slidebar, Fullerton CA)

My penis can only get so erect

Holy fucking shit what a weekend. It started Thursday night when I completely forgot I said I'd go down to North Park to check out our buddies bands first show. They are called Old News and they were pretty good. Minus the sound guy fucking up and not having Ricky's microphone on or whatever happened. But they totally covered Dillinger 4 and Kid Dynamite and that's rad. Also, a band called Fools Rush played, and they fucking ruled. So dragging my old ass out on a school night super ended up being worth it.

Friday, I finally ended my strike against L.A. Its been a few months since I went up that way, and it mostly had to do with "eh, I just don't feel like driving there." But when any incarnation of BK playing music comes anywhere near you, you suck it up and fucking go. We waited outside the bar for a bit for our friend to show up, and some place was cooking street food outside. I was hungry and tempted by the smell, so of course I ended up ordering a hot dog wrapped in bacon. You know, every once in a while you just have to treat yo self to a street dog. It was sitting outside waiting where I could hear the first band playing. It sounded like absolute shit. Then the second band played and I started to get really confused. They also sounded like absolute shit. Both bands so far was this weird, alternative indie garbage music. The only thought I had in my head is who books these fucking shows? I remember when I saw the Lawrence Arms play L.A. a few years ago at the Viper room, that show also had the weirdest fucking bands. Anyway, Keri finally shows up and we go inside and get our $10 drinks. Now around this point, I'm watching the 3rd band set up. They bring out the drums and bass, and I'm like "OK. normal." But then they set up a keyboard hooked up to a Mac Book, a drum machine, and seriously a rack with 8 guitars on it. I went from OK, to what the fuck is happening? And then they start playing. OK, I get that everyone has differing opinions on music, and yeah, I might not like what you like, but holy fucking shit these guys were boring. Every song you could hear the desperate cries of "please play this song on the radio." For some reason the guy who sang and played guitar switched to a new guitar after every single song, explaining the rack. The lady who sang and played keyboard more or less just stood there and kept raising her arms up and down, like she was trying to fly away in slow motion. The other guitarist and bass player just stood in their respective corners, I'm pretty sure they were under strict orders to stay the fuck out of the way. I will say this though: both singers had great voices. And they did call themselves out towards the end. They said something like, I know its weird that Brendan Kelly is playing and he is a rocker, and here we are playing our indie bullshit, so we wrote a rock song specifically for this show. Granted, it absolutely did not qualify as a rock song, but they do get an A for effort.

Finally Brendan Kelly took the stage and all became right in the world .I was a little nervous at first because he sounded fucking hammered, but then I remembered its BK, it totally wouldn't be the same if he was sober. He started by saying he is going to play like 4 or 5 songs he wants to play and then 4 or 5 songs we wanted to hear. Off the top of my head, I know he played Necrotism, Demons, Seventeener, and YMCA. He also played 2 never before heard songs, an awesome song called Hugs, which was obviously about acquiring hugs through sketchy means , and a song he wrote when he was 12 called Dicks. I think you can figure that one out. When he asked us what we wanted to hear, some guy immediately shouted Suffer the Children and BK looked him dead in the eyes and called him a pervert. Somehow, through people screaming at him, he ended up playing Pigs, Quicentuple, Dance of the Doomed, Drunk Tweets, and my absolute personal favorite Unicorn Odyssey. We laughed, we cried, we drank, I never thought I could be so entertained by a drunk and a guitar.

Pictured: Good times

Night two I piled eight people into my 4Runner and headed to Fullerton. The Slidebar is pretty cool because all the shows there are free. It was kind of a weird set up though, it has a back room for the show, and the front becomes this weird club/bar scene. It was bizarre. But I did get to hang out with Brendan Kelly for about 20 minutes because of it, so that was pretty cool. The show was more of the same, except this time the openers made sense. Dead Frets (aka Jared from Sic Waiting) and Joey Briggs played. They both were really good and warmed up the crowd for BK, who did another drunken comedy set intermixed with tunes. I was a little drunker this night, so my memory is a bit fuzzier, but the set was completely different (minus the still awesome Hugs song). I do remember at one point I said something was "tight" a little louder then I expected and BK was like, "wow, what a fucking OC thing to say" which I replied with "Bro, just play the next fucking song, bro."

Pictured: Slightly Darker Good Times


Sunday, somehow I managed to get out of bed and head to the bowling alley for another very long Sunday Funday with a bunch of good friends. All in all I would rank this weekend up there with one of the best of the year so far. I was only 2 hours late to work on Monday! Not bad at all.

I got my fingers crossed we get a new Falcon record this year. But in the meantime, go buy Caskitt's new album This Machine Kills Sadness. It's super good and you won't regert it! Promise!

No comments: