Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hey man, did you see that girl band?

Bad Cop/Bad Cop - Great Apes - Turkish Techno - Caskitt (1/9/2015 @ VLHS, Pomona CA)

The cool thing about living in North County San Diego, is that I have access to not only San Diego shows, but also shows up north. Today's review comes to us from the mysterious land of Pomona. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a butt hole of a drive from here. I decided to go up the 15 instead of the 5 because google maps claimed it was "faster" and "more gas efficient". Google maps is a disgusting liar and the 15 is a shit hole boring freeway. The 5 4 lyfe!

This show took place at VLHS, a DIY venue in Pomona. If you have never been here, this place fucking rules and puts every other venue to shame ever. It has a glorious "smoking lot" aka parking lot where everyone smokes and drinks and hangs out. A tiny entrance room with a fridge for beer. or wine. or water. or energy drinks. You know, pretty much any liquid you would like to keep cold and consume. This place is BYOB, and there are usually others willing to share, say whiskey, with you. Once you pay, you get a cool hand doodle, sometimes a cat face, this time a Stussy S. You know, those S's you would draw in high school, you throw down 6 lines then connect them because you were bored out of your mind. Then there is the "main room" complete with "stage" and "inconveniently placed skate ramp" and back roll up door for when everyone is breathing and things get a bit too swampy. Oh, and don't worry, they have a bathroom! But with no door knob, so if you go, you better have a friend who can stand guard. Or just go outside if you have the proper means. AKA a dick. Or I guess one of those cup things ladies can pee in to pee outside. I think its like a funnel? And the best part is the man, the myth, the legend, Party Marty, roaming around, giving high fives. Tonight, as everyone was showing up and standing outside smoking, Marty called for everyones attention, "Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement" he yelled in his gruff voice silencing the heathens. "Ya'll are looking gooooooood." Seriously, every time I go here, I can't help but smile. I love VLHS.

Caskitt (or the band where the drummer sings)

Up first for the night was San Diego's own Caskitt. They are probably my favorite San Diego band (sorry I'm not sorry other SD bands, step your fucking game up), and it is awesome to see them out and playing in front of different people. Recently, they lost their bass player to the wasteland known as Florida, and Ricky from Western Settings has stepped up to fill in until they can find a replacement. I have seen Caskitt play a thousand times it seems like, and I immediatly noticed the difference in the tone of Ricky's bass. It sounded dirty, kind of like Banner Pilot's, and I liked it. Anyways, Caskitt did what Caskitt does, Matt rocked the drums and sang songs about being found out and not going outside, Steffen shredded guitar, Ricky's mullet/rat tail thing blew proudly in the wind. Shit was tight. I'm pretty sure they made San Diego proud.

The Coronado bridge sheds a tear

Turkish Techno (or the band with the shirt logo made of dicks)

Turkish Techno were one of the first bands I ever saw at VLHS. I remember the first time I saw them I thought, damn, I didn't know a band with such a stupid fucking name were allowed to be so good. Since then, they are another band I have seen play a thousand times, and who I just don't seem to get sick of. Since TT are almost a house band at VLHS, the crowd was super pumped when they played. Running around, screaming along.  It always seems to get crazy-go-nuts when they play. I am a little bummed they didn't play DUI, but you know, who the fuck am I? Shit was tight. I'm pretty sure they made Riverside proud.

I sent this picture to Lindsey to make her jealous

Great Apes (or the band I didn't watch and drank instead)

I fucked up on this one, instead of watching Great Apes, I sat outside and smoked cigarettes and drank some Modello's and talked about how bad we need a VLHS type place in North County, but with Burritos too. Because burrito's rule and should be mixed with punk rock as much as possible. Also, at this point Jackie stumbled by and offered a pickleback shot. If you don't know what a pickleback is, its when you take a shot of whiskey, and chase it with pickle juice. It's heaven on earth. Or in your mouth. Whatever, just do it. Shit was tight. I'm pretty sure they made alcoholics proud.

Bad Cop/Bad Cop (or the band that is all chicks, dude.)

Every time I see someone talk about Bad Cop/Bad Cop, they always mention how they are all females, like that is their gimmick, like they are Masked Intruder or something. I am not here to talk about the merits of punk and how its a boys club and blah blah blah, you've heard it a million times (actually I could be here to talk about that, but I won't because its boring and this is already border line too long), the fact of the matter is they are a kick ass punk band. I remember a long long time ago, I saw them play at the Blue Star in L.A. Linh wasn't even in the band yet and Stacey had a broken foot or something. I watched them play and was blown away by how good they were, so much so that by the next time I had the opportunity to see them play, like 2 years later at Awesome Fest 7 , I put them on my can't miss list. Now here we are a few years later and they are about to put out their first full length, and second overall release on FAT FUCKING WRECK CHORDS. So yeah, they good. Fuck you, get over that they are females. It's 2015, whatever. Anywho, they fucking killed it like always. They played a bunch of new stuff that has me excited to buy their full length when it comes out. I missed a few songs because I had to pee super bad, but made it back in time to hear them play Asshole and Get Rad. Shit was tight. I'm pretty sure they made, I guess San Pedro proud? Also, I lost my BC/BC doughnut button, but got to replace it with the totes appropes BC/BC badge.

 YOU PUNK ROCK LIKE A GIRL!
 
Appropriate merchandise, KISS

 
That was night 2 out of a 3 night music bender. Stay tuned tomorrow to find out how I atoned for my missing Great Apes sin. I'll give you a hint, it involves me going to a show.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

No comments: