Monday, January 19, 2015

Carlo Rossi is my homeboy

Western Addiction - The Bombpops - Horrorsquad - Never Old Bones (1/16/2015 @ VLHS, Pomona CA)

I woke up Friday morning feeling like absolute shit. This time I was getting sick. I guess at the VLHS show last week, some ding-dong infected everyone with the plague. Or the common cold. Whatever. Still a ding-dong. So, what do you do when you want to drink but your getting sick? Gut Busters* seemed like a bit much, so it was time for SANGRIA NIGHTS!

I packed my jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria and headed to L.A. I got to my friends house a little early, so I went to the neighborhood watering hole, a sketchy little place called Belly's West. Heeding the advice of my coworkers from earlier, I decided a shot of whiskey would help get my head straight. Upon hearing my order, the regular sitting at the bar struck up conversation about using alcohol to fix sickness and what makes an alcoholic. He bought me another shot. I drank a garbage beer to wash it all down and it was time to head to the show.

My date for the evening

Never Old Bones

We got there a little late and totally missed these guys.

Horrorsquad

Horrorsquad is another band that seems to play VLHS every time I come here. That's not a complaint, they are some of the nicest people I have ever met, and they are pretty good to boot. Tonight was no exception. Like with any band playing on their home field, the crowd was into it, singing along and having a good time. These guys are a fun band to see live, drinking in-between (and during) songs, they just look like they are having a good time playing, which is awesome and kind of pumps you up more. FOUR for you Horrorsquad! You go, Horrorsquad!

and none for Gretchen Wieners, bye!
 

Western Addiction

I have been wanting to see Western Addiction for a long time. When I heard they were playing with Lagwagon in Hollywood I was stoked, then I heard they were playing VLHS the night before that, and I nearly shit myself. I had finished about 2/3rds of the Sangria by the time they started playing, all I could hope for was to stave off the darkness for at least half an hour. These guys have a sound that kind of mixes metal, 80's hardcore and pop punk. They played most of Cognicide, Black Salt and a few new songs which sounded awesome. They were very good live, I highly suggest checking them out if you have a chance. Fortunately, I finished my Sangria AND made it through their entire set.
 
seconds before my brain clicked off

The Bombpops

As soon as Western Addiction was done, the Sangria decided to completely shut my brain off. Yes, I blacked out. The last thing I remember was hanging out by The Bombpops van, smoking a cigarette, and drunk rambling about god knows what. Then I woke up in L.A.
 
Somehow managed to take a picture though. Drunk Kevin is an OK photographer.
 

Lessons I learned from that night: A jug of Sangria is a bit too much. Wasn't pukey drunk, just blacked out stupid drunk. Which is fine sometimes. Also, I vaguely remember debating with a guy dressed as Robin which was the best Robin. I said Damien Wayne, he said I don't even remember because he was wrong. I won that argument in my mind. I like to think we both agreed Cassandra Cain was the best Batgirl, but I could be making that up. Yeah, shit got nerdy. I think we scared Aaron Ohio.
 
Tune in later for my review of Lagwagon and THE MUSEUM OF DEATH!
 
 
 
*Gut Busters is a drink made by my buddy Andrew when he was sick and still wanted to drink. Its a mix drink consisting of Nyquil and whiskey. It is as gross as it sounds.




 


2 comments:

Jackie said...

Glad I'm just "your ride" as opposed to "your friend"

Heffer Wolf said...

You take everything too seriously. Fixed it.